ZEISS Batis 85mm f/1.8 Lens for Sony E Mount
Updating a tried-and-true optical design for use with full-frame E-mount mirrorless cameras, the Batis 85mm f/1.8 Lens from ZEISS is a portrait-length, short telephoto lens featuring a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture for greater focus control and enhanced low-light shooting. The innovative design of this lens features an OLED display that highlights the focus distance and depth of field range for quickly recognizing your focusing parameters, and its autofocus performance is benefitted by linear motors for fast, smooth performance. Pairing the Sonnar concept with a floating elements design, this 85mm f/1.8 is also particularly adept at controlling aberrations throughout the focusing range, while a T* anti-reflective coating minimizes flare and ghosting for ensured color accuracy and heightened contrast. Rounding out the feature-set, this lens incorporates optical image stabilization to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working with slower shutter speeds and a dust- and weather-sealed construction lends itself to shooting in less-than-ideal environments.
- An ideal portrait-length lens, this short telephoto has been designed specifically for full-frame E-mount mirrorless digital cameras. It can also be used on APS-C-sized E-mount cameras where it will provide a 127.5mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also offers extensive control over depth of field for selective focus applications.
- Sonnar optical concept incorporates 11 glass elements within 8 groups and also employs a floating elements design to reduce aberrations and distortions throughout the focusing range.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
- Integrated OLED display on the top of the lens shows the distance of the focal plane from the camera as well as the depth of field range for quickly recognizing the parameters of focus in use, even when working in low-light conditions.
- Optical image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting.
- Linear motors benefit the autofocus performance of the lens and provide smooth, fast, and quiet operation. For manual focusing, a rubberized ring offers greater tactile control for precise placement of focus.
- Dust and weather-sealed construction benefits using the lens in inclement shooting conditions.
Camera Mount Type
35mm Film / Full-Frame Digital Sensor
Angle of View
Minimum Focus Distance
2.62' (80 cm)
Maximum Reproduction Ratio
11 Elements in 8 Groups
Front: 67 mm
Approx. 3.19 x 3.62" (81 x 92 mm)
1.05 lb (475 g)